Tender Texas Cabbage Salad
You need mild thin-leaved cabbage for this recipe. If you can get point-head cabbage for this it’s the best but most fresh green cabbage will do fine. This salad can be made hours in advance and is great for picnics and pot-lucks.
- 3 c. Cabbage – sliced and cut crosswise into pieces about 1/4″ x 2″ – include green leaves from the outside of the cabbage.
- 1 to 2 T. Jalapeno Peppers – finely chopped without seeds (the salad should be just barely hot)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 c. Sweet Pepper – red, diced
- 4 Scallions – sliced across including the tender parts of the green top
- 3 T. Olive Oil
- 1 T. Rice Vinegar
- 2 Limes – fresh, juiced (use juice only)
- 3 T. Parsley – fresh, coarsely chopped
- 2 T. Cilantro – coarsely chopped
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
In a bowl, stir together the cabbage, jalapeno and salt. Let sit about 10 minutes to wilt a little. Add remaining ingredients and let it sit another 10 minutes, then taste to see if it needs more salt or lime juice. You should have just a little heat from the jalapeno. Adjust heat with additional jalapeno or red pepper flakes. Serve cool or at room temperature.
Submitted by Debra Deis, Harrisburg
2009 Pennsylvania “Simply Delicious, Simply Nutritious” Vegetable Recipe Contest