When it's June in Pennsylvania, the local vegetables start to sing.
There are peas, spinach, radishes, asparagus, and more.
Today we'll honor one that tends to get overlooked - the green bean.
The green bean is a classic vegetable and, thus, is often prepared as such, simply sautéed in butter and seasoned with salt and pepper. Make no mistake, this is a sensational way to enjoy green beans but they are a versatile vegetable and it's worth exploring outside the box, too.
Simply put, it's time to invest in your local Pennsylvania produce sources and pick up fresh green beans, then give some of these dishes a try:
- 1 1/2 pound green beans (fresh, cut into 1-inch in length)
- 2 carrots (cut into thick strips, about 1-inch in length)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil (vegetable, olive or canola oil)
- 1 onion (large, sliced)
- 1 pound mushrooms (fresh, sliced)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest + 1/4 teaspoon fine ground pepper + 1/4 tsp salt)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup almonds (toasted, slivered)*
- 280g (10 ounces) pork mince
- 450g (16 ounces/ 1 pound) green beans, trim both end and cut it into 5cm length
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp, softened in cold water and drain. Then finely chop.
- 1 dried chili, slice it
- 1 fresh chili, remove seeds and slice
- 1 teaspoon Tianjin preserved vegetable (optional)
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, mince it
- 3 cups of oil for deep-fry green beans
Full recipe here: https://www.thespruceeats.com/sichuan-green-bean-recipes-4102161.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ¼ C shredded low-moisture mozzarella
- ⅔ C finely chopped sweet onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ C ketchup
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ C bread crumbs
- 1 lb green beans
- 1½ lbs fingerling potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, evenly divided
- ½ tsp salt, evenly divided
- ¼ tsp pepper, evenly divided
- ½ tsp dry granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ⅛ tsp crushed rosemary
Full recipe here: https://simpleseasonal.com/recipes/sheet-pan-mini-turkey-meatloaf-dinner.
- 3/4 pound to 1 pound of green beans, tough ends snipped off and discarded
- 1/3 cup sweet orange marmalade
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
Full recipe here: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sriracha_orange_glazed_green_beans/.
Want to score an official PA Veggies Bean Checklist with 6 ideas on how to use green beans? You can check your way through the bounty that Pennsylvania has to offer and share your story with others by tagging #paveggies.
Score your FREE GREEN BEAN CHECKLIST HERE.
Have another dish in mind? Leave us a comment.